This week we welcomed the much-needed rain, it’s great to see our beautiful region feeling revitalized.
It was fantastic to see so many of our members at the Christmas networking night, the final networking night for 2018. Thanks to everyone who was able to come along, and special thanks to Reef Gateway for hosting us. If you would like to book a networking night at your product in 2019, please contact Haylee, please note that there are only a couple of months left available.
Over the last month, the planting of coral fragments at Blue Pearl Bay and Mantaray Bay onto submerged trays has taken place. The team at Reef Ecologic have done a terrific job this year assisting our local area with the trials of the underwater artworks and the coral restoration project. We look forward to the corals growing on the trays ready to transplant next year.
Tourism Whitsundays and the #GoBareboating team did an exceptional job hosting of the Australian Society of Travel Writers (ASTW). The Whitsundays entourage travelled to Brisbane, Melbourne & Sydney last week hosting over 200 travel writers across three events, the ASTW Christmas lunches provided Tourism Whitsundays and #GoBareboating the opportunity to present the travel writers with information about bareboating around our beautiful islands. It was also an excellent chance for our CEO Tash Wheeler to present to the group of travel writers all the exciting 2019 product information the Whitsundays region has instore from the opening of new resorts, much anticipated resort re-openings, fantastic new Whitsunday walks with upgraded lookout points, airport refurbishment, underwater artworks and many more exciting product updates. If it’s coming in 2019 the team talked about it! The main purpose of these lunches is to help generate as much publicity for our region as possible – keep your eyes peeled for famil opportunities following these lunches.
The Whitsundays was again the tourism epicentre last week with the successful annual Whitsundays Tourism Exchange (WTE) taking place. It was great to see the Product Managers from some of our largest inbound tour operators and wholesalers in the Whitsundays, meetings with the operators and accommodation houses. The WTE provides timely updates to the very important partners who help to sell the Whitsundays to the world. It was opportune to be able to address the group and provide an update on the exciting projects that are rolling out over the next 12 months.
This Friday the Minister for Innovation and Tourism Industry Development, Honourable Kate Jones will be returning to the Whitsundays along with Chief Executive Officer of Tourism and Events Queensland, Leanne Coddington. Tourism Whitsundays in partnership with Whitsunday Regional Council will be facilitating an industry meeting with representatives from the Tourism Whitsundays Board, Platinum Members and Whitsunday Regional Council to discuss the vision for 2019 and opportunities in key segments such as destination events, industry development and of course marketing. We encourage you to reach out to a representative on the TW Board if you have any ideas you would like put forward.
As 2018 comes to a close our Tourism Recovery Fund projects keep trucking along, most recently the extension of Hill Inlet Lookout was opened to the public. For more information on these project please click here.
Just a reminder to keep an eye on the weather this weekend as Tropical Cyclone Owen hangs around the Queensland Coast. It’s a timely reminder as we go into our wet season for businesses and residents to ensure they are fully prepared for our unpredictable weather. If there is one thing we have learnt as an industry over the past 18 months, it is best to be prepared and not required it than not be prepared at all.
Making the Most of your Membership
Please find below a list of opportunities available for you to get involved with. If you're unsure if these are for you and want to know more, let us know.
Find out more
- Do you know any tour guides in the area that speak Portuguese, Italian or Spanish? We need a translator on 20 January 2019 to escort a group of 3 visitors. Contact Kylie if you know anyone that can assist.
- Don’t miss out, there are only a few spots remaining in the Cooperative Advertising Opportunities.
Click here to read the prospectus. Please email Cherie by Friday 14 December if any of these opportunities are of interest to you.
- Expressions of interest are now open to participate in the 2019 China Roadshow Program. Click here for more information.
- Would your business be interested in donating a prize towards the Mackay Home Show & Caravan, Camping Expo in May 2019. Contact Natasha if you are interested or would like more information.
- We are hosting a regional media famil in January 2019, contact Liza for more information.
- Digital Influencers Famil Opportunity - Emily Jabour
- PR Famil Opportuniy - Marie Barbieri
- Attention all restaurant members! ATDW have announced they are partnering with global platform Zomato Australia. Yet another reason to ensure your ATDW listing is live, up-to-date and showcases the amazing foodie experience you offer. Be seen by the millions of followers that trust this platform to choose their dining experience. If you haven’t created your ATDW listing, a 12 month subscription has been included in your membership, contact Haylee for assistance.
- The Tourism Whitsundays website attracts over 500k visitors per annum; capture your customer’s attention by featuring a website banner to direct to your booking page and promote your business. Please see our Advertising Opportunity - Website Advertising 2018/19 prospectus for more information, or contact Haylee
- Have you got a great deal that you would like to offer your customers? Let us help you spread the message; view our most recent Advertising Opportunity - Dine. Shop. Enjoy.
- Have you got a member to member special that you would like to offer in our E-Newsletters? What about any exciting news or updates? Contact Haylee to discuss and book your feature
- Did you know that being a member of Tourism Whitsundays, you can book a LIVE On-Site Broadcast at your business for half price? Thanks to our partners at Star FM and 4MK! Please see opportunity for full inclusions and contact Sandra for bookings.
- The team at Star FM and 4MK can offer services to create your own unique business jingle; contact Sandra for more details and have your customers singing your jingle all the way to your door.
- Every membership counts. We all benefit from a thriving tourism industry, so help us promote this beautiful destination by becoming a member of Tourism Whitsundays; please see our 2018/19 Membership Prospectus or contact the Haylee for more information
- Tourism Whitsundays are creating a “Crew Guide to Airlie Beach", an informative document for Cruise Ship staff to encourage them to disembark, if your business would like to offer an exclusive special offer to Cruise Ship Staff contact Natasha.
- Tourism Whitsundays (TW) Members are invited to participate in the latest edition of the International Product Manual. The International Product Manual is the key tool used across the globe to provide inspiration to our trade partners. Showcasing our hero experiences, key products, a bucket list of must sees and dos, as well as key information on how to gain access to the region. Contact Aimee for more information. Content is due on COB Friday 14 December.
- Tourism and Events Queensland will be shining the spotlight on Queensland’s best tourism experiences in January 2019 when the first Best of Queensland Experiences are announced. Whilst the eligibility criterion has now been finalised, it is time for all members with an active ATDW listing to work on achieving and maintaining the minimum 80 points to be included in the program. See an example report here of how your business will be assessed, and for any further information please contact Haylee.
Stories from around the World
The Tourism Recovery Fund (TRF) is a $7M initiative, jointly funded through the Australian and Queensland Governments.
The objective of the TRF is to facilitate recovery, rebuild and/or create new tourism experiences and infrastructure that will drive demand, improve quality, and increase tourism expenditure, with flow-on economic benefits across the tourism supply chain.
Each month we will share an update on each of the projects below. Click here to find out more information on the project status report.
Money Money Money
Please find below information on grants and funding:
- Empowering Families Innovation Fund aims to generate ideas for new initiatives, programs or ways of working that will help keep Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children safe, well and connected to family, kin, culture and country.
- The Regional Arts Development Fund (RADF) is a partnership between Whitsunday Regional Council and the Queensland Government through Arts Queensland, which invests in quality arts and cultural experiences across Queensland based on locally determined priorities.
- The Community Assistance Grant recognises the important role volunteer based organisations have in the region and how Council can best support their endeavours.
- The Sport & Recreation Financial Support for Elite Athletes is available for all residents currently residing within the Whitsunday Regional Council Local Government Area.
- The Queensland Destination Events Program (QDEP), is available to increase the funding for your regional event.
- Gambling Community Benefit Fund, allocates grants to not-for-profit community groups, to enhance their capacity to provide services, leisure activities and opportunities for Queensland communities.
- The Current Grant Opportunity List contains all current Grant Opportunities (GOs) open for application.
- The Grants Hub, the award-winning grants directory and team that makes finding funding easy.
- The National Australia Bank Foundation is a private charitable trust with a vision to support greater social innovation in how societal challenges are tackled. By providing financial grants and other valuable in-kind support, we see ourselves as an ‘enabler’ - enabling for-purpose organisations to incubate and scale new, innovative and sustainable ways of solving problems.
- Small Business Digital Grants Program provides small businesses with access to digital technologies and services to enable them to work smarter, engage with the global economy and make the most of online business opportunities arising from digital disruption.
- Business.gov.au contains grant assistance and other support.
- Regional Development Australia collates information on upcoming grants from government, corporate, philanthropic and private sectors.
What's coming up in the Whitsundays
|The Whitsundays as a destination has a multitude of events and activities at any one time. Below is a list of events that are coming up over the next two months from regional consumer, cruise ships and Tourism Whitsundays corporate events. If you have an event that you would like added, please load to ATDW or contact us on how to do it.|
- December 16 | Seabourn Encore
- December 16 | Pacific Aria
- December 18 | MS Noordam
- Decmeber 19 | Seven Seas Mariner
- January 26 | Great Aussie Bites
- February 19 | Half Day Digital Workshop – Increase Website Traffic - Details TBC
- February 26 | Full Day Workshop – Success in the International Market - Details TBC
- March 12 | Half Day Digital Workshop – Planning your online strategy - Details TBC
- April 2 | Half Day Digital Workshop – Online Marketing for Events - Details TBC
- April 30 |- Half Day Digital Workshop – Maximising Facebook - Detail TBC
- May 8 | Half Day Digital Workshop – Maximising Instagram - Details TBC
- June 4 | Half Day Digital Workshop – Reputation Management - Detail TBC
Careers in Tourism
Living in a small region, we want to ensure we keep the skills and knowledge local. If you have positions you would like to advertise, click here.
For tips on applying for jobs in tourism, visit the website.