Congratulations to Whitsunday Coast Chamber of Commerce for organising and conducting the recent ‘Town Hall’ meeting at Whitsunday Sailing Club last week. The meeting was highly productive with some great ideas flowing; Whitsunday Coast Chamber, Whitsunday Regional Council and Tourism Whitsundays look forward to exploring the possibility of these great ideas.
Last week the Tourism Whitsundays team met with Mackay Tourism to discuss upcoming plans for the coming year. As our world gets smaller (and often our budgets) it’s important that we come together, pool some resources and budgets and look at ways to leverage opportunities for joint projects. We’re excited to collectively work together to best benefit our regions.
This year for the first time, Whitsunday Tourism Awards have opened a range of business categories to the local industry and members of Tourism Whitsundays. Sponsored by the Whitsunday Coast Chamber of Commerce, these additions to the awards program support businesses across the region and recognize the significant contribution all businesses make to a successful tourism industry. For more information please click here.
Also last week we welcomed media guru Kim Skubris back to the Whitsundays for a very insightful ‘Managing Media’ workshop. Kim went through the importance of collective messaging and making sure the Whitsunday region always provides a response – no “No Comments”. Kim also commended Tourism Whitsundays & Whitsunday Regional Council on their swift response to the 60 Minutes story, and subsequent coverage on Media Watch. A special thanks to Whitsunday Regional Council for working with us in securing Kim for this workshop.
Tomorrow Tourism and Events Queensland in partnership with Tourism Whitsundays will be hosting TEQ’s Conversations with Industry at Lure, Coral Sea Marina|Resort (formally Abell Point Marina) on Thursday 25th July from 1:30pm - 4:30pm. This is an excellent opportunity for registered participants to meet with Tourism and Events Queensland (TEQ) specialists in areas of international marketing, social media, public relations, events, Best of Queensland Experiences Program and more. TEQ will also present their strategic direction and consumer trends and insights, as well as showcasing some of the marketing campaigns and initiatives of the past year. Transfers will be provided from Lure to Port of Airlie in time for the 5:40pm ferry to Daydream Island for those attending the Tourism Whitsundays networking night.
A very warm welcome to Whitsunday Regional Council new CEO, Kenn Donohoe. Having carved out a 29-year career in local government, Kenn brings with him a wealth of experience. Tourism Whitsundays looks forward to working with Kenn in the future.
This month’s networking night is on tomorrow night and has proven to be one of the hottest tickets in town! We have an extensive waiting list for those keen to join in the fun on Daydream Island. If you’ve been lucky enough to secure a ticket but are no longer able to make it please contact the TW team.
This fortnights favourite 3 Instagram Posts
An important friendly reminder; please make sure when tagging your social media posts to tag:
#lovewhitsundays #thisisqueensland #seeaustralia
We’d love to share your fantastic pics and help drive your brand awareness through our social media channels, please be sure to add the correct tags.
This fortnight we would like to welcome to the Tourism Whitsunday family our newest members as well as some members who have re-joined for the year ahead. Thank you for your partnership:
Making the Most of your Membership
Please find below a list of opportunities available for you to get involved with. If you're unsure if these are for you and want to know more, let us know.
Tourism Whitsundays Member Opportunities
Member Advertising Opportunities
- Expressions of interest to support the Airlie Beach Cruise Ship Ambassador Program. If you would love to get involved or for more information contact Tracey.
- Expressions of interest are open with a Wedding Focus Media Famil. Contact Liza with expressions of interest.
- Registrations for the 2019 Whitsundays Tourism Exchange open this Friday! Click here for more information.
- Members of the community are invited and encouraged to volunteer for upcoming regional events! Click here to sign up today!
- Are you interested in featuring in a segment on QLD Weekender and/or Creek to Coast? There is currently a co-op opportunity with filming 1-10 August in Region. Click here to find out more.
- Whitsundays support Nova’s Bids to Help Sick Kids – please donate prizes for a fantastic Whitsundays Package click here for more information. Contact Cherie with expressions of interest.
- Sponsorship Opportunities - 2019 Whitsunday Tourism Awards contact Aimee for more information on how you can be involved.
- Expressions of Interest to join Mackay Boat Show 19 – 20 October click here to find out more.
- Sponsor a networking night by donating stubby coolers for us to give away. Reach out the membership team for more information.
- Start to take online bookings or integrate an affiliate booking engine on your website for commissionable sales. Contact the membership team for more information.
- Have you listed your business on the Australian Tourism Data Warehouse (ATDW)? A 12 month subscription to the ATDW is included in Platinum, Gold, Silver, Bronze, Restaurant and Retail memberships. Contact the membership team for your unique code to be able to list your product on tourismwhitsundays.com.au, Queensland.com, and Australia.com.
Every membership counts, and goes into marketing and publicity activity to drive visitation, expenditure, dispersal and length of stay. We all benefit from a thriving tourism industry, so help us promote this beautiful destination by becoming a member of Tourism Whitsundays; please see our 2019/20 membership prospectus or contact the membership team for more information.
Find out more - Member Opportunities
- Biosecurity Alert - Yellow Crazy Ant
- Subscribe to Tourism and Events Queensland’s industry newsletter, Eye On Q
- Please be advised that the Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service in Airlie Beach will be conducting a planned burn on South Molle Island beginning on Thursday 1st August 2019, weather permitting.
The planned burn is part of the annual hazard reduction and conservation management program for parks and forests. As a result, smoke will be seen in the Molle and Whitsunday Islands National Park.
The aim of this burn is to reduce the volume of forest fuels and to create a mosaic pattern of burnt and unburnt areas. In turn, this will help reduce the intensity of any subsequent wildfires and provide favourable conditions for natural forest regeneration.
Please be aware that smoke can decrease visibility on the water, so it is important that vessels operate safely to the conditions.
For your safety, all visitors are requested to remain well clear of operations, observe all signs, barriers and directions provided by rangers.
For further information please contact Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service on (07) 4962 5205 or email QPWSgbrmciGBRMPR.Corro@des.qld.gov.au
Stories from around the World