|In Review |
This week we’re especially thinking of our northern friends in Townsville – it’s a trying time for them! The Salvation Army have set up collection points around the region. Please drop any items you think will help, off at the Whitsunday Region Information Centre in Proserpine, Bowen Salvation Army Church, Bowen Salvation Army Store, Carters Truck Hire (Behind Whitsundays Shopping Plaza) or Cannonvale Salvation Army Store. Please ensure any items for Townsville are clearly marked to ensure they get to those in need.
Home on Saturday afternoon? Why not kick back, relax and watch the QLD Weekender which this episode will feature the fantastic Airlie Beach Festival of Music. Relive the great music and great atmosphere of last year’s Airlie Beach Festival of Music. The QLD Weekender episode is a result of Tourism Whitsundays’ partnership with QLD Weekender. We will be hosting QLD Weekender back to our beautiful region in March. If you’d like the opportunity to showcase your product. Click here for more information. Unfortunately, the Tourism Whitsundays and Tourism and Events Queensland’s Great Barrier Reef forum which was scheduled for this Thursday 7 February, has had to be postponed due to forecast weather conditions and warnings. We will liaise with TEQ to find an alternative date in the coming weeks, in the meantime we welcome you to access the Great Barrier Reef resources and messaging tools on the TEQ corporate website, including the executive summary of TEQ’s GBR Framework 2018-2025. Click here.
TW Marketing Manager Donna van ‘t Hoff met Jess Peterson, Director Revenue and Itinerary Planning and Melissa Witsoe, Product Manager who are looking after shore excursions and pre and post touring for Windstar Cruises which is based in Seattle and have a 6 ship fleet offering small ship and yacht style cruising. They have undertaken a huge expansion in the small ship market, adding 148 maiden calls to their 2018 itineraries. They focus on food, enrichment programs and accessing out of the way experiences. They were looking at possibilities for Australian ports. They were given a tour around Airlie Beach and talked about all cruise possibilities from around our region.
To read more of our exciting In Review news please click here to read more.
An important friendly reminder; please make sure when tagging your social media posts to tag: #LoveWhitsundays #ThisIsQueensland #SeeAustralia. We’d love to share your fantastic pics and help drive your brand awareness through our social media channels, please be sure to add the correct tags.
This fortnight we would like to welcome to the Tourism Whitsunday family our newest members:
Making the Most of your Membership
Please find below a list of opportunities available for you to get involved with. If you're unsure if these are for you and want to know more, let us know.
Find out more
- Co-Op Opportunity with QLD Weekender and Creek to Coast - For more information and to express your interest click here.
- Tourism Whitsundays and Weddings Whitsundays are attending the 2019 QLD Brides Weddings and Honeymoon Expo in Brisbane. This is your opportunity to join a dedicated Whitsundays stand, for more information click here.
- Would your business be interested in donating a prize towards the Mackay Home Show & Caravan, Camping Expo in May 2019. Contact Cherie if you are interested or would like more information.
- Digital Influencer Famil Opportunity - Kirsten Wendlandt & Danya Hasan
- Digital Influencer Famil Opportunity - Somewear Elsewhere - Tours & Activities
- Digital Influencer Famil Opportunity - Emily Jabour
- Have you got a great deal that you would like to offer your customers? Let us help you spread the message; view our most recent Advertising Opportunity - Exclusive Visitor Card prospectus for more information, or contact Haylee
- The Tourism Whitsundays website attracts over 500k visitors per annum; capture your customer’s attention by featuring a website banner to direct to your booking page and promote your business. Please see our Advertising Opportunity - Website Advertising 2018/19 prospectus for more information, or contact Haylee
- Have you got a member to member special that you would like to offer in our E-Newsletters? What about any exciting news or updates? Contact Haylee to discuss and book your feature.
- Did you know that being a member of Tourism Whitsundays, you can book a LIVE On-Site Broadcast at your business for half price? Thanks to our partners at Star FM and 4MK! Please see opportunity for full inclusions and contact Sandra King for bookings.
- The team at Star FM and 4MK can offer services to create your own unique business jingle; contact Sandra for more details and have your customers singing your jingle all the way to your door.
- Every membership counts. We all benefit from a thriving tourism industry, so help us promote this beautiful destination by becoming a member of Tourism Whitsundays; please see our 2018/19 Membership Prospectus or contact the Membership Team for more information.
Stories from around the World
|Tourism Whitsundays works closely with Tourism and Events Queensland and Tourism Australia on a range of journalist and digital influencer famils. the aim of these famils is to showcase to the world the beautiful Whitsundays. These couldn't be done without the fantastic support from our members. Here is a snapshot of some of the stories that were generated over the past couple of weeks.|
Member Market Place
|Welcome to Member Marketplace. As a member of Tourism Whitsundays please find below opportunities from other members and stakeholders withing the Tourism Whitsundays family. If you would like to include something here, please send to our Membership Team.|
Here are some great member to member special offers:
- February - March | Whitsunday Small Business Start-Up Program
- Seeking EOI FOR Employers for 2019 VAK8 Expression of Interest - Host Work Experience Opportunity
School to Work - Tourism is a school to work transition program developed by the Department of Employment, Small Business & Training (DESBT) specifically for the tourism and travel industry. The program provides employers with opportunities to reshape their workforce by building the capacity of staff to work with young people; link with schools and school students; implement recruitment practices which incorporate employment pathways for young people and recruit work ready employees. It includes 20 days of unpaid work experience placement and completion of an industry endorsed and nationally recognised qualification - SIT20116 Certificate II in Tourism. If you are interested or want more information click here.
- Exclusive Locals Offer | Hamilton Island is on sale with exclusive offers available to our neighbours from Port Douglas to Gladstone. Spend your days exploring the region, dining at our variety of restaurants and bars, or simply relaxing by one of our many pools.
- Stay at Reef View Hotel from $149 per person per night, twin share*
- Stay 2 nights and receive a free room upgrade, or stay 3 nights and receive a free room upgrade and breakfast daily. Offer includes return adult ferry transfers, plus Kids 12 and under Stay and Eat Free
- Stay at Palm Bungalows from $155 per person per night, twin share*
Stay 3 nights and receive breakfast daily. Offer includes 2 return ferry transfers and Kids 12 and under Stay and Eat Free
- Stay at Beach Club from $330 per person per night, twin share*
Offer includes a la carte breakfast daily and return adult ferry transfers
Book online or call 1300 780 797. Hurry, sale ends 5pm AEST on Thursday 21 March, 2019.
- Mantra Boathouse Apartments | 15% off all direct accommodation bookings. Contact the team on 07 4841 4100 or email@example.com
- Mantra Club Croc | 10% off F&B at Club Croc Bistro. Contact the team on 07 4940 2300 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Peppers Airlie Beach | 15% off F&B at Tides Restaurant & Bar. Contact the team on 07 4962 5100 or email@example.com
- Receive 10% of Eco Tourism Certification for the Month of February.
It is the member’s responsibility to provide sufficient proof of TW membership upon contact. We suggest emailing from the business email address or supplying a business card; all current memberships can be viewed in the Business Directory on the Tourism Whitsundays website.
|Here is a list of workshops available in the Whitsundays for you and your teams. If you have a workshop you would like to promote, please send through to us.|
*The Tourism Industry Business Capability Development Program is proudly funded by the Queensland Government's Department of Innovation and Tourism Industry Development. The program was developed in consultation with QTIC, Tourism and Events Queensland and the Regional Tourism Organisations.
Tourism Recovery Fund
|The Tourism Recovery Fund (TRF) is a $7M initiative, jointly funded through the Australian and Queensland Governments.|
The objective of the TRF is to facilitate recovery, rebuild and/or create new tourism experiences and infrastructure that will drive demand, improve quality, and increase tourism expenditure, with flow-on economic benefits across the tourism supply chain.
Each month we will share an update on each of the projects below. Click here to find out more information on the project status report.
Money Money Money
Please find below information on grants and funding:
- Empowering Families Innovation Fund aims to generate ideas for new initiatives, programs or ways of working that will help keep Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children safe, well and connected to family, kin, culture and country.
- The Regional Arts Development Fund (RADF) is a partnership between Whitsunday Regional Council and the Queensland Government through Arts Queensland, which invests in quality arts and cultural experiences across Queensland based on locally determined priorities.
- The Community Assistance Grant recognises the important role volunteer based organisations have in the region and how Council can best support their endeavours.
- The Sport & Recreation Financial Support for Elite Athletes is available for all residents currently residing within the Whitsunday Regional Council Local Government Area.
- The Queensland Destination Events Program (QDEP), is available to increase the funding for your regional event.
- Gambling Community Benefit Fund, allocates grants to not-for-profit community groups, to enhance their capacity to provide services, leisure activities and opportunities for Queensland communities.
- The Current Grant Opportunity List contains all current Grant Opportunities (GOs) open for application.
- Business.gov.au contains grant assistance and other support.
- Regional Development Australia collates information on upcoming grants from government, corporate, philanthropic and private sectors.
What's coming up in the Whitsundays
|The Whitsundays as a destination has a multitude of events and activities at any one time. Below is a list of events that are coming up over the next two months from regional consumer, cruise ships and Tourism Whitsundays corporate events. If you have an event that you would like added, please load to ATDW or contact us on how to do it.|
Careers in Tourism
Living in a small region, we want to ensure we keep the skills and knowledge local. If you have positions you would like to advertise, click here.For tips on applying for jobs in tourism, visit the website.