Last week Tourism Research Australia released their quarterly International Visitor Stats (IVS) and while the numbers show a downturn, it was good to see the stats were finally reflective of the way our industry have been feeling. The most telling of these statistics have shown a total expenditure downturn of 16% down to $179.8 million and average spend per visitor down 10.3% to $795. The Whitsundays total international visitor arrival is sitting at 226,000 for the quarter which is down 6.3%. These numbers aren’t great for our region, but we hope with our island resorts coming back on-line, new developments being finalised, new eateries are popping up around the region, new walking tracks are being developed, and in a Great Barrier Reef first the Underwater Public Artworks are in the final stages of permits and installation. With so many new experiences and infrastructure being invested around the Whitsundays we certainly hope to see a turnaround in these figures in the following quarters. TW certainly is using all its efforts to keep the Whitsundays at the forefront of potential visitors minds through a variety of marketing campaigns.
| |We are all excited to head down to celebrate the Airlie Beach foreshore opening this Saturday! From peering through the fence it’s looking amazing down there, a massive congratulations to the Whitsunday Regional Council for their commitment to this project, we’re sure the event on Saturday (from 2pm-6:30pm) will be a huge success – we look forward to seeing you there!
The long-awaited opening of Hayman Island by InterContinental is this coming Monday 1st July. The opening of Hayman Island really signifies the end of our road to recovery following TC Debbie, having our iconic island resorts reopened has been generating great interest for the region.
Speaking of openings – Daydream Island threw the party of all parties last Saturday night at their official opening. Congratulations to the team at Daydream Island, the resort is looking fantastic, the event was a huge success! It makes us so excited to for the Whitsunday Tourism Awards to be held there in October.
Last week TripAdvisor released their 10 Best Tourism Experiences in Australia list… and guess who had 2 entries!! Whitsunday Jetski Tours leading the pack as the number 1 Best Tourism Experience of 2019 and Ocean Rafting coming in at 7. The Whitsundays was the only destination to feature 2 experiences. A HUGE congratulations to the teams at Whitsunday Jetski Tours and Ocean Rafting!
Last week the TW team met with Shaun Carwood the new General Manager at Cruise Whitsundays. We look forward to welcoming Shaun and his family not just to the Whitsundays tourism industry but also to our beautiful region.
Thanks to Whitsunday Regional Council, Media and Communications Specialist Kim Skubris is coming back to the Whitsundays on the 16th July. Kim was here earlier in the year to give a workshop on Media Training to the tourism industry stakeholders, which I’m sure anyone that attended will agree was extremely informative. Kim is coming back to give two half day workshops on ‘How to deal with Media’. If you’d like more information on these workshops and how you can attend please email Alyssa.
As the school holidays approach at the end of this week we’d be really interested to hear how our members bookings have been tracking in the lead up to this traditionally busy holiday period. If you’d like to share your bookings information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
It’s that time again – The Tourism Whitsundays networking night is tomorrow night at Shute Harbour, hosted at the Sunsail Whitsundays and Whitsunday Rent A Yacht premises, with Elysian Retreat, Island Transfers, Palm Bay Resort and SCAMPER Whitsunday Island Camping and Water Taxi service. RSVP’s close tonight – to RSVP please click here. We’d love to see you there!
This fortnights favourite 3 Instagram Posts
Making the Most of your Membership
Please find below a list of opportunities available for you to get involved with. If you're unsure if these are for you and want to know more, let us know.
Tourism Whitsundays Member Opportunities
- The 2020 Cooperative Advertising Opportunities have been released. There are several opportunities ranging from inflight, travel, wedding, business events, drive market to Expos/ Tradeshows. Click here to find out more.
- Co-Op Opportunity with QLD Weekender and Creek to Coast for filming 1-10 August in Region.
- Have you booked for the 2019/20 Whitsunday Visitor Guide? Click here to view the Advertising Prospectus. Booking deadline 28 June 2019.
- With the end of financial year soon upon us, make sure you have confirmed your membership for 2019/20 to ensure inclusion in the 2019-20 Whitsunday Visitor Guide. View the 2019/20 Membership Prospectus for more information.
- Have you considered becoming a sponsor of the 2019 Whitsunday Tourism Awards? Contact Aimee for more information.
- Check out the current Digital Influencer Famil Opportunities click here to find out more.
- Sponsors the 2019 Whitsunday Tourism Awards. Contact Aimee for more information.
- Sponsor a networking night by donating stubby coolers for us to give away. Reach out the membership team for more information.
- Start to take online bookings or integrate an affiliate booking engine on your website for commissionable sales. Contact the membership team for more information.
- Have you listed your business on the Australian Tourism Data Warehouse (ATDW)? A 12 month subscription to the ATDW is included in Platinum, Gold, Silver, Bronze, Restaurant and Retail memberships. Contact the membership team for your unique code to be able to list your product on tourismwhitsundays.com.au, Queensland.com, and Australia.com.
Other Member Opportunities
Member Advertising Opportunities
Every membership counts, and goes into marketing and publicity activity to drive visitation, expenditure, dispersal and length of stay. We all benefit from a thriving tourism industry, so help us promote this beautiful destination by becoming a member of Tourism Whitsundays; please see our 2019/20 membership prospectus or contact the membership team for more information.
Find out more - Member Opportunities
Stories from around the World