|In Review |
What a flying start we’ve had to the year…
Guardian ‘Australia’s Best Beaches’ online poll nominations are open. The Whitsundays has 2 nominations Horseshoe Bay has been nominated for best regional beach and Whitehaven Beach has been nominated for best remote beach. Make your vote count - click here. Voting closes midnight tomorrow night 24th January.
Australia Day is this Saturday, if you’re looking for some family fun and delicious food to celebrate the day come on down to the successful Great Australian Bites at Broadwater Avenue Carpark, Airlie Beach with free entry. Whitsunday Regional Council have arranged an awesome line-up of entertainment and activities including thong throwing, a double waterslide and face painting for the kids, as well as pop-up food stalls serving tasty treats. For more information click here.
Tourism Whitsundays re-imagined Dine. Shop. Enjoy initiative is back in 2019 bigger, better and with a new name ‘Exclusive Visitor Card’. The Exclusive Visitor Card is aimed at visitors already in region, giving them exclusive offers from around our glorious region. The key message of these cards is to encourage visitors to explore more of the Whitsundays while they’re here, our mainland offerings are vast and diverse. Members of Tourism Whitsundays have the potential to place offers for free. For more information click here.
February 6th will see a huge number of cruise ship passengers descend upon the Airlie Beach as we will be welcoming two cruise ships to region. Explorer of the Seas and Pacific Aria will be here & between these two ships there is the potential to see in excess of 3,500 + passengers. Our unreal Volunteer Ambassadors will be handing out the new Exclusive Visitor Card, so make sure you get your offer into us for loading ASAP!
Chinese New Year is the 5th Feb, this year we will be welcoming in the year of the Pig. In the past we have seen an increase in Chinese visitors to our region celebrating Chinese New Year, this would be a great opportunity to remind your teams of the simple things your business can do to make the Chinese visitors feel welcome.
Tourism Whitsundays and Tourism and Events Queensland in partnership with Tourism Australia and the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority will be delivering a series of forums in early February. These forums are designed to engage directly with tourism operators in Great Barrier Reef destinations to ensure consistent messages about the value of the GBR and the contribution tourism makes, as well as the ways consumers can get involved to understand both the challenges and opportunities of the GBR. Please join us on Thursday 7th Feb from 8:30am – 11am at Lure, Abell Point Marina. For more information here.
- Hello - Nǐ hǎo (Nee How)
- Good Bye – Zàijiàn (Share – Share)
- Chinese signage or language may help
- Offer free wifi
- Consider other payment forms such as Union Pay / Alipay / Wechat Pay
Last week we welcomed news from Tourism and Events Queensland that renowned local events Airlie Beach Race Week and The Whitsunday Reef Festival are set for a big financial boost in 2019 from the help of Queensland Destination Events Program (QDEP). The QDEP’s aim is to build the crucial link between events and the destinations in which they are staged, extending the flow of the economic, marketing and social benefits of events throughout metropolitan and regional Queensland. Whitsunday Reef Festival received $15,000 and Airlie Beach Race Week received a huge $150,000, one of the highest amounts of funding received by a Whitsundays event! We can’t wait to see these events bigger and better in 2019.
If you have an event you think would fit the QDEP criteria check out their website. Funding for their next round closes 28th February 2019. Tourism Whitsundays is happy to help you navigate the process.
Tourism Whitsundays is seeking a vibrant team player to join our dynamic, fast paced environment. The position is full-time, offering the successful candidate a unique career opportunity in tourism and marketing. This is a fantastic chance to kick-start and develop a lasting career within tourism and which can be adapted to any business. Working with a small team will provide the experience to be across a number of areas and projects, this role will support the marketing team by assisting with marketing, trade activity, consumer campaigns, regional events and business events. There will also be opportunity for the right candidate to host travel agents and represent the destination at trade shows. Applications close Tuesday 29th January please email Donna van ‘t Hoff.
An important friendly reminder; please make sure when tagging your social media posts to tag: #LoveWhitsundays #ThisIsQueensland #SeeAustralia. We’d love to share your fantastic pics and help drive your brand awareness through our social media channels, please be sure to add the correct tags.
This fortnight we would like to welcome to the Tourism Whitsunday family our newest members:
Making the Most of your Membership
Please find below a list of opportunities available for you to get involved with. If you're unsure if these are for you and want to know more, let us know.
Find out more
Stories from around the World
|Tourism Whitsundays works closely with Tourism and Events Queensland and Tourism Australia on a range of journalist and digital influencer famils. the aim of these famils is to showcase to the world the beautiful Whitsundays. These couldn't be done without the fantastic support from our members. Here is a snapshot of some of the stories that were generated over the past couple of weeks.|
Member Market Place
|Welcome to Member Marketplace. As a member of Tourism Whitsundays please find below opportunities from other members and stakeholders withing the Tourism Whitsundays family. If you would like to include something here, please send to our Membership Team.|
Here are some great member to member special offers:
- February - March | Whitsunday Small Business Start-Up Program
- Seeking EOI FOR Employers for 2019 VAK8 Expression of Interest - Host Work Experience Opportunity
School to Work - Tourism is a school to work transition program developed by the Department of Employment, Small Business & Training (DESBT) specifically for the tourism and travel industry. The program provides employers with opportunities to reshape their workforce by building the capacity of staff to work with young people; link with schools and school students; implement recruitment practices which incorporate employment pathways for young people and recruit work ready employees. It includes 20 days of unpaid work experience placement and completion of an industry endorsed and nationally recognised qualification - SIT20116 Certificate II in Tourism. If you are interested or want more information click here.
Proof of membership is required when purchasing the above products.
- Exclusive Locals Offer | Hamilton Island is on sale with exclusive offers available to our neighbours from Port Douglas to Gladstone. Spend your days exploring the region, dining at our variety of restaurants and bars, or simply relaxing by one of our many pools.
- Stay at Reef View Hotel from $149 per person per night, twin share*
- Stay 2 nights and receive a free room upgrade, or stay 3 nights and receive a free room upgrade and breakfast daily. Offer includes return adult ferry transfers, plus Kids 12 and under Stay and Eat Free
- Stay at Palm Bungalows from $155 per person per night, twin share*
Stay 3 nights and receive breakfast daily. Offer includes 2 return ferry transfers and Kids 12 and under Stay and Eat Free
- Stay at Beach Club from $330 per person per night, twin share*
Offer includes a la carte breakfast daily and return adult ferry transfers
Book online or call 1300 780 797. Hurry, sale ends 5pm AEST on Thursday 21 March, 2019.
- Mantra Boathouse Apartments | 15% off all direct accommodation bookings, call 07 4841 4100 to make a booking.
- Mantra Club Croc | 10% off F&B at Club Croc Bistro. Call 07 4940 2300 to make a booking.
- Peppers Airlie Beach | 15% off F&B at Tides Restaurant & Bar. Call 07 4962 5100 to make a booking.
|Here is a list of workshops available in the Whitsundays for you and your teams. If you have a workshop you would like to promote, please send through to us.|
Tourism Recovery Fund
|The Tourism Recovery Fund (TRF) is a $7M initiative, jointly funded through the Australian and Queensland Governments.|
The objective of the TRF is to facilitate recovery, rebuild and/or create new tourism experiences and infrastructure that will drive demand, improve quality, and increase tourism expenditure, with flow-on economic benefits across the tourism supply chain.
Each month we will share an update on each of the projects below. Click here to find out more information on the project status report.
Money Money Money
Please find below information on grants and funding:
- Empowering Families Innovation Fund aims to generate ideas for new initiatives, programs or ways of working that will help keep Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children safe, well and connected to family, kin, culture and country.
- The Regional Arts Development Fund (RADF) is a partnership between Whitsunday Regional Council and the Queensland Government through Arts Queensland, which invests in quality arts and cultural experiences across Queensland based on locally determined priorities.
- The Community Assistance Grant recognises the important role volunteer based organisations have in the region and how Council can best support their endeavours.
- The Sport & Recreation Financial Support for Elite Athletes is available for all residents currently residing within the Whitsunday Regional Council Local Government Area.
- The Queensland Destination Events Program (QDEP), is available to increase the funding for your regional event.
- Gambling Community Benefit Fund, allocates grants to not-for-profit community groups, to enhance their capacity to provide services, leisure activities and opportunities for Queensland communities.
- The Current Grant Opportunity List contains all current Grant Opportunities (GOs) open for application.
- The National Australia Bank Foundation is a private charitable trust with a vision to support greater social innovation in how societal challenges are tackled. By providing financial grants and other valuable in-kind support, we see ourselves as an ‘enabler’ - enabling for-purpose organisations to incubate and scale new, innovative and sustainable ways of solving problems.
- Small Business Digital Grants Program provides small businesses with access to digital technologies and services to enable them to work smarter, engage with the global economy and make the most of online business opportunities arising from digital disruption.
- Business.gov.au contains grant assistance and other support.
- Regional Development Australia collates information on upcoming grants from government, corporate, philanthropic and private sectors.
What's coming up in the Whitsundays
|The Whitsundays as a destination has a multitude of events and activities at any one time. Below is a list of events that are coming up over the next two months from regional consumer, cruise ships and Tourism Whitsundays corporate events. If you have an event that you would like added, please load to ATDW or contact us on how to do it*Please note that whilst 2 Cruise Ships coming to Airlie Beach is not uncommon, this combined visit could potentially see 3500+ passengers in Airlie Beach. |
Careers in Tourism
Living in a small region, we want to ensure we keep the skills and knowledge local. If you have positions you would like to advertise, click here.For tips on applying for jobs in tourism, visit the website.