|In Review |
We are ready to kick this year off, with many of our iconic experiences reopening as well as brand new experiences right across the region, this year promises to be one of the best yet – we can just feel it!
Late last year saw the announcement from Tourism Industry Development Minister Kate Jones about the new $1 million campaign to lure more domestic residents to the beautiful Whitsundays. It is a jointly funded partnership between Tourism and Events Queensland, Tourism Whitsundays, Cruise Whitsunday, Daydream Island, Hayman Island and Hamilton Island. What a way to start the new year.
The Shute Harbour Restoration project is gearing up to start construction in March 2019 with a new seawall being the first stage of the project (open for tender January 2019). The final design features a new seawall, a two-floor terminal with views over the water, café facilities, a new carpark, new public amenities, landscaping and three finger pontoon jetties, including a designated recreational fishing pontoon. The design has also cleverly incorporated some of the history and legacy of the old facility, with timber recycled from the demolished jetties to be used in the vertical façade of the new terminal building. To read more information click here.
Parents rejoice – the huge new 10.5m high combination Skywalk playground and multi-level Pirate Ship is expected to be completed by the end of February. The two Sky Cabins are connected by a rope bridge allowing children to experience height safely, with an incredible view of the Foreshore. The three gigantic slides are made from a special heatproof material. This will surely be a favourite spot in the years to come. To read more information click here.
Congratulations to our very own Ben De Luca who was named 2018’s Queensland Cinema Pioneer of the Year. Ben has been a familiar face at Summergarden Theatre for over 67 years. Such a worthy award for a deserving recipient.
A very welcome return to our region is Whitsunday Gold – Australia’s largest coffee plantation, they’ll be back bigger and better than ever! After extensive refurbishment and redevelopment Whitsunday Gold will be re-opening early in the year. At Whitsunday Gold you’ll get to see the whole coffee process, from bean to roast to grind to cup. The site will house one of the biggest indoor children’s play areas in the Whitsunday region. A much-welcomed child-friendly feature for those looking for amazing coffee and delicious food, a place to catch up with friends and family (while the kids safely run free).
Congratulations to Reef Ecologic (and their team of volunteers representing Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service, the Order of Underwater Coral Heroes (OUCH) and the local tourism industry). Over four days in November they installed the coral nursery frames and propagated corals at Blue Pearl Bay and Manta Ray Bay. The weather was challenging with northerly winds making surface conditions tricky. The collected corals from donor colonies and ‘corals of opportunity’ (loose pieces of coral found lying around the reef) from two locations in the Whitsundays, Stonehaven Bay and Scrub Hen Bay. Corals were then fragmented and a total of 425 coral fragments are now growing successfully on the coral nursery frames at Blue Pearl Bay (225) and Manta Ray Bay (200). Click here to watch Reef Ecologic’s video.
If you’re looking for some family fun and delicious food this coming Australia Day, the successful Great Australian Bites is back at Fairy Tree Park on the Airlie Beach foreshore entry is free. Enjoy an awesome line-up of entertainment and activities including thong throwing, a double waterslide and face painting for the kids, as well as pop-up food stalls serving tasty treats. For more information click here.
Proserpine’s very first Live Love Life Festival is taking place in various venues around Proserpine from 19 January – 25 January. With free health workshops, massages, facials, cooking demonstrations and so much more on offer. This is a fantastic initiative set up by the health and wellness businesses of Proserpine. See you there! For more information on the Live Love Life Festival click here.
This fortnight we would like to welcome to the Tourism Whitsunday family our newest members:
Making the Most of your Membership
Please find below a list of opportunities available for you to get involved with. If you're unsure if these are for you and want to know more, let us know.
Find out more
- Do you have a product or package that is suitable for the cruise ship passengers? Contact Natasha if you are interested or would like more information.
- Would your business be interested in donating a prize towards the Mackay Home Show & Caravan, Camping Expo in May 2019. Contact Natasha if you are interested or would like more information.
- Famil Opportunity - QLD regional media, contact Liza to express your interest in being involved.
- PR Famil Opportuniy - Marie Barbieri
- Digital Influencers Famil Opportunity - Emily Jabour
- Are you involved in the 2019 Best of Queensland Experiences program? Tourism and Events Queensland will be shining the spotlight on Queensland’s best tourism experiences in March 2019 when the first Best of Queensland Experiences are announced. See an example report here of how your business will be assessed, and for any further information please contact Haylee
- The Tourism Whitsundays website attracts over 500k visitors per annum; capture your customer’s attention by featuring a website banner to direct to your booking page and promote your business. Please see our Advertising Opportunity - Website Advertising 2018/19 prospectus for more information, or contact Haylee
- Have you got a member to member special that you would like to offer in our E-Newsletters? What about any exciting news or updates? Contact Haylee to discuss and book your feature
- Did you know that being a member of Tourism Whitsundays, you can book a LIVE On-Site Broadcast at your business for half price? Thanks to our partners at Star FM and 4MK! Please see opportunity for full inclusions and contact Sandra for bookings.
- The team at Star FM and 4MK can offer services to create your own unique business jingle; contact Sandra for more details and have your customers singing your jingle all the way to your door.
- Every membership counts. We all benefit from a thriving tourism industry, so help us promote this beautiful destination by becoming a member of Tourism Whitsundays; please see our 2018/19 Membership Prospectus or contact the Haylee for more information.
Stories from around the World
|Tourism Whitsundays works closely with Tourism and Events Queensland and Tourism Australia on a range of journalist and digital influencer famils. the aim of these famils is to showcase to the world the beautiful Whitsundays. These couldn't be done without the fantastic support from our members. Here is a snapshot of some of the stories that were generated over the past couple of weeks.|
Member Market Place
|Welcome to Member Marketplace. As a member of Tourism Whitsundays please find below opportunities from other members and stakeholders withing the Tourism Whitsundays family. If you would like to include something here, please send to our Membership Team.|
Here are some great member to member special offers:
Proof of membership is required when purchasing the above products.
- ECO Tourism Certification Whitsunday Tourism Offer - Why Choose Us? Forget the grew suits, stuffiness and overbearing rules and policies - we will set your ideas free.
- Inspired Impact | Receive 10% off custom websites and reservation system setup and integration. Full website design and integration on the Room Manager Reservation system and Channel Manager. Full training and support provided. Prices start from $497. Contact Jasmine
|Here is a list of workshops available in the Whitsundays for you and your teams. If you have a workshop you would like to promote, please send through to us.|
Money Money Money
Please find below information on grants and funding:
- Empowering Families Innovation Fund aims to generate ideas for new initiatives, programs or ways of working that will help keep Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children safe, well and connected to family, kin, culture and country.
- The Regional Arts Development Fund (RADF) is a partnership between Whitsunday Regional Council and the Queensland Government through Arts Queensland, which invests in quality arts and cultural experiences across Queensland based on locally determined priorities.
- The Community Assistance Grant recognises the important role volunteer based organisations have in the region and how Council can best support their endeavours.
- The Sport & Recreation Financial Support for Elite Athletes is available for all residents currently residing within the Whitsunday Regional Council Local Government Area.
- The Queensland Destination Events Program (QDEP), is available to increase the funding for your regional event.
- Gambling Community Benefit Fund, allocates grants to not-for-profit community groups, to enhance their capacity to provide services, leisure activities and opportunities for Queensland communities.
- The Current Grant Opportunity List contains all current Grant Opportunities (GOs) open for application.
- The National Australia Bank Foundation is a private charitable trust with a vision to support greater social innovation in how societal challenges are tackled. By providing financial grants and other valuable in-kind support, we see ourselves as an ‘enabler’ - enabling for-purpose organisations to incubate and scale new, innovative and sustainable ways of solving problems.
- Small Business Digital Grants Program provides small businesses with access to digital technologies and services to enable them to work smarter, engage with the global economy and make the most of online business opportunities arising from digital disruption.
- Business.gov.au contains grant assistance and other support.
- Regional Development Australia collates information on upcoming grants from government, corporate, philanthropic and private sectors.
What's coming up in the Whitsundays
|The Whitsundays as a destination has a multitude of events and activities at any one time. Below is a list of events that are coming up over the next two months from regional consumer, cruise ships and Tourism Whitsundays corporate events. If you have an event that you would like added, please load to ATDW or contact us on how to do it|
Careers in Tourism
Living in a small region, we want to ensure we keep the skills and knowledge local. If you have positions you would like to advertise, click here.For tips on applying for jobs in tourism, visit the website.